Friday, August 10, 2007

About a Boy



Qwy






Since I started seeing the father of my child, a little boy came in play.

He was two years old ( recent two ) so he still had baby talk. Big Afro . Big Belly. And all love. He called me mami from the beginning. He will be with me all day. When his father was away in any exercise, we’ll stay home and relax. I remember he was like a clock: will wake up at 6 am, will be ready for a nap at 11:30 am. Will have dinner at 6 pm and will be drowsy by 8pm. And next day the same thing. At dinner time, he will be saying “ I have chicken” and he will tangle his drumstick on his poofy head of hair. And he also will grab his cup with kool – aid and he will do the same thing, pouring the liquid on his head.

Because of my military obligations, I had to leave for Korea. At that time ( pre Sept 11 ), we all could go to the terminal to farewell goodbye. When it was time to board, I gave him a hug promising I was coming back. For what his father told me, he saw me boarding the plane that will put more than half of the world between us, and he will not leave until the plane took off. He was looking through the window and was asking “where’s mami going?” His father, broken – hearted, was fighting back the tears.

When it was time to take him back to his mother, his father had to travel alone. For what he recounts, he will not recognize his mother, will shelter behind his father and when he was leaving, the boy broke lose from his mother running towards his father. Almost being ran over by cars.

I found out I was expecting my daughter ( she was conceived in our 1st wedding anniversary ) and I was shipped back to the US. We went to pick up the boy one more time, more versed and speaking clearly. The boy had grown quite a bit and could talk your ear out. When my daughter was born, you could see him walking sticking out his chest very proud saying “that’s my baby sister”.

At the table ( remember I’ve just said he can talk your ear off ) during dinner time he will be saying “ that’s my daddy’s food, that’s my mommy’s food, that’s my food, that’s my baby sisters’ food ; my baby sister will not eat, she drinks milk,; when she drinks milk, she says aaah, and so on and so forth. It was always an adventure to have dinner with him.

He went back to his birth mother in Aug that year. My daughter wasn’t 6 months old. Due to a comedy of errors, one after the other after the other, 4 years went by. We went to pick him up all the way down in KS. He then was going on second grade. His hair longer, his body even longer and stronger. Very intelligent and with a mouth and a set of pipes. On the PT conference, his teacher was telling me she was concerned about his grades and the fact he couldn’t read well. But that he has done a great deal in improving. He got awesome grades at the end of his second grade and promoted to 3rd grade. Sad is that the family he knew is no more. This is when his father and I separated. And everything changed for him.

I usually take my child with me during Monday to Thursday. I didn’t want to leave the boy behind so I brought him with me. His father woke up and didn’t find him and demanded for me to bring him back, otherwise he was gonna report me for kidnapping. Two weeks went by and I didn’t see him. He was asking me why I didn’t take him with me, I told him he needed to talk to his father about it.. Something happened on the way of heaven, he was back with me and has been with since.

At nights, we have to get my best friend and the kids’ uncle from work. The boy wanted to stay up and see his uncle. One day we are driving back, and he is telling me about his awful sister in law and his brother. Then he remarked “you know, he will be perfect for you mom, boy” to what the boy remarked “but she is with the Mechanic” . . . that made my heart tender.

I always had the idea that since I am not really his mom, he was never gonna be mine. And I actually wanted a boy of my own because I thought he was never gonna love me the same way he loves his birth mother. But that night when he said what he said he made me realize I had a boy all along. Really good and sweet kid. Now I really don’t care if I have another kid. Even when he is not around, I am still his mommy and pretend to stay that way until the day I die.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home